By Khalid Idris Doya
Bauchi, Nigeria, May 12, 2026(Series News Online)-The Bauchi State Action Committee on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence has documented 218 cases of gender-based violence across the state, covering offences such as rape, domestic abuse, child maltreatment, exploitation, neglect of parental duties, and family conflicts.
Speaking at a press engagement on Monday, the committee’s chairperson and wife of the Bauchi State Governor, Hajiya Aisha Bala Mohammed, said the body had achieved significant progress since its inception. She noted that several offenders had been convicted, while other matters remained under judicial consideration.
“The committee was set up to protect vulnerable groups, uphold justice, and extend assistance to survivors and their families,” she said.
Hajiya Aisha Bala Mohammed identified slow judicial processes as a major obstacle, linking the delays to constitutional safeguards and lengthy legal procedures.
“One of the challenges we face is the time it takes for cases to move through the courts, which often discourages victims from seeking justice,” she explained.
She announced that the committee would expand public enlightenment drives and grassroots outreach in the coming months to raise awareness on preventing and responding to gender-based violence in Bauchi State.
The First Lady acknowledged the role of journalists in highlighting social concerns and urged them to deepen advocacy efforts to curb violence against women and children.
“Your role in public enlightenment and advocacy remains invaluable in the collective fight against gender-based violence,” she stated.
She stressed that meaningful results would require coordinated action among lawmakers, traditional rulers, religious leaders, civil society groups, security agencies, and the media.
Hajiya Aisha Mohammed reaffirmed the committee’s commitment to safeguarding survivors, ensuring accountability, and reducing all forms of violence targeting women and children.
She also called for a review of certain legal provisions that hinder the prompt delivery of justice in gender-based violence cases.
“There is a need to review some laws and constitutional provisions that affect criminal justice administration so that victims can access timely justice,” she said.
The First Lady emphasized the importance of understanding local social conditions to provide effective support for women, youth, and children.
She noted that the committee’s work was humanitarian and community-centered, adding that government alone could not resolve all societal problems without public participation.
Hajiya Aisha Mohammed expressed concern over limited public knowledge of existing laws and rights, saying many residents were unaware of the legal protections available to them.
For her part, the Special Adviser to the Bauchi State Governor on Gender-Based Violence, Barrister Sha’awanatu Yusuf, said the committee had recorded notable achievements since its inauguration on April 17, 2020.
“Since we began operations, we have handled 218 cases, including 94 rape cases. Many were charged to court, and some offenders have been convicted and are currently serving prison terms,” she said.
Barrister Yusuf provided a breakdown of the cases to include 37 incidents of domestic violence, 51 family disputes, 19 forced marriages, 11 cases of child abuse, five cases of child exploitation, and one abduction.
She explained that some rape and criminal matters were still pending due to the need for detailed investigations and judicial processes before rulings could be delivered.
The adviser said the committee comprised representatives from the Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Health, media organisations, women’s rights groups, traditional and religious institutions, security agencies, human rights bodies, and civil society organisations.
“The diverse composition of the committee was designed to ensure that every stakeholder contributes meaningfully toward addressing gender-based violence and related social challenges,” she said.
She added that the public could report complaints to the committee for intervention, after which parties would be invited for mediation. Cases that could not be resolved amicably would be forwarded to relevant authorities for prosecution.
Also speaking, Muhammad Haruna said that between April 17, 2020, and December 2025, the committee, in collaboration with the police and Ministry of Justice, secured convictions in 34 gender-based violence cases, while others remained before the courts.
“We have cases of parents who abandoned their responsibilities, exposing children to danger and making them vulnerable to criminal activities. We also intervened in cases where some Islamic teachers physically abused children entrusted to them,” he said.
Haruna pledged that the committee would intensify community sensitisation programmes to educate parents, guardians, and the public on their responsibilities toward children in homes, schools, places of worship, and public gatherings.
The committee further urged the state government to gazette and fully implement the Child Protection Law in Bauchi State.
Tags
GVB