By Khalid Idris Doya
Bauchi, Bauchi State, Nigeria - August 27, 2025(Series News Online)
The federal government's decision to hand over 270 housing units of the National Housing Programme (NHP) in Bauchi State to the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has sparked widespread outrage among residents. The housing project, launched in 2016, aimed to provide affordable accommodation for civil servants and low-income earners.
A senior official of the Federal Ministry of Housing in Bauchi confirmed the handover, stating that the units had been transferred to the NAF. "The housing units have indeed been handed over to the Nigerian Air Force. The houses are no longer under the ministry," the official said.
Residents of the estate expressed shock and dismay at the development. "We were taken aback when Air Force personnel arrived and told us to vacate the premises," said Muhammad Kabir, Secretary of the Residents' Committee. "We're pleading with the government to reconsider, as we have nowhere else to go."
Kabir revealed that the residents had submitted expression of interest forms and were awaiting allocation. "It's unjust to hand over these units to the military when they were meant for Nigerians who need affordable housing," he added.
The residents have vowed to seek legal redress, arguing that the handover was unlawful. "We'll explore all peaceful avenues to protect our rights," Kabir said.
The Federal Ministry of Housing and Urban Development had earlier issued a 48-hour eviction notice to the residents, labeling them "illegal settlers." The residents have appealed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the Minister of Housing to intervene and protect the original beneficiaries of the project.